3D Digital Mammography
We've made it easy for you to schedule your mammogram at Wilson Health. We offer online appointment scheduling for screening mammograms. Click on the button below to schedule your mammogram on a date and time that is convenient for you. Saturday and evening appointment availability.
3D mammography allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. So, instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with traditional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below.Clinical studies have shown that by using 3D technology, doctors are able to screen for breast cancer with much greater accuracy – regardless of a women’s age or breast density.
- Age 40 - age to start mammograpy
- Age to Stop Mammography - no age limit; tailor to individual health status
- Mammography Interval - annual
*Women at higher risk may begin screening at an earlier age. Please consult with a physician to determine.
Source: American College of Radiology (ACR) and The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecology (ACOG)
Benefits of 3D Mammography
- Improves the detection of invasive breast cancers by up to 65%
- Reduces unnecessary callbacks by up to 40%
- Provides the greatest clarity and detail in breast mammography imaging at the lowest dose and shortest compression times
- 93% of women say that the SmartCurve compression system is the most comfortable mammogram they have ever had
- Appropriate for women of all breast densities, but the only FDA recommended superior imaging for dense breast tissue
- Detects invasive cancers at the earliest stages, up to 15 months earlier than traditional 2D mammography
- Results available in as few as 24 hours!
Wilson participates in self-referred screening mammography. To see if you are eligible for a self-referred mammogram, complete this short questionnaire:
1. Are you under 40 years of age?
2. Do you have any of the following symptoms?
B. Breast Pain (onset within last 3 months)
3. Do you have implants?
4. Do you have a personal history of cancer?37
5. Have you had a mammogram within the last 12 months?
If you answered “YES” to any of the above questions, you will need to contact your physician for more information on mammogram testing options.
If you answered “No” to all of the above questions and would like to schedule an appointment for a screening mammogram, please call (937) 498-5533 or click on the button below to schedule online.
Saturday and evening appointments are available.
What to expect during your exam
The process of a 3D mammogram is the same as your conventional 2D exam. The technologist will position you, compress your breast, and take images from different angles. There’s no additional compression required with the 3D exam, and it only takes a few extra seconds for an exam, proven to be more accurate.
The technologist will view the images of your breasts at the computer workstation to ensure quality images have been captured for review. A radiologist will then examine the images and report results to either your physician or directly to you.
For questions, please contact the Francis Women's Center at (937) 498-5533.