Our History

Our History

Throughout its history, Wilson Health has been about people who have joined together to provide solutions for the healthcare needs of all, people who have viewed the hospital as a pivotal and necessary asset to help keep the community viable and people who have committed their time, talents and resources to ensure a healthy future for their children.

Timeline

2013 Thomas J. Boecker, President and CEO of Wilson Memorial Hospital, announced his retirement after 40 years of service 
   
2012 Established a low-risk, diagnostic Cardiovascular Cath Lab to offer patients close-to-home healthcare services in a state-of-the-art facility; Received $200,000 grant from local business partner, Emerson, to support this project
2011 Opened Wilson Urgent Care to meet the community need of offering a walk-in clinic open 7-days a week to treat all minor illnesses and injuries
2010 Established Wilson Memorial Sports Medicine service partnering with Shelby County high schools through which student athletes receive access to orthopedic and sports medicine healthcare services

2008-2009

The Surgery Department undergoes a major renovation of the surgical suites. Technology advancements are made to accommodate more minimally invasive surgeries, as the need for sophisticated equipment emerges in today's operating room.

2008

Wilson offers the latest technology available to women for breast cancer detection, digital mammography.

2006-2007

Renovation of the third floor Medical/Surgical/Pediatric unit is completed. The project modernizes the nursing station and provides 23 private rooms on the floor for patients, responding to patients' increasing need for privacy, comfort and infection prevention.

2006

The Radiology or Imaging Department undergoes a major overhaul and expansion for greater patient privacy and service. Three new pieces of equipment are added, including a brand-new and permanent, in-house MRI system, a new CT scanner and a new Cardiac Ultrasound unit.

2005

Laboratory Services are moved and expanded, designed with a focus on increased patient comfort and privacy. The department also gained more workspace for staff and several pieces of new equipment to replace dated items such as refrigerators and incubators.

2005

Wilson celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2005. The hospital was opened on September 13, 1930.

2004

Renovation is underway for a new state-of-the-art laboratory to be opened by the end of 2004, making way for the expansion of the Imaging/Radiology Department to be completed by the end of 2005.

2004

In May, the new Francis Women's Center for diagnostic care is opened to the public. The center offers mammography, bone density testing, ultrasound and stereotactic breast biopsy in a private, convenient and relaxing environment.

2004

Nobel Prize winner and Sidney son Dr. Paul Lautebur is feted by the Sidney community culminating in a reception at the hospital in April.

2003

The Copeland-Emerson Family Birth Center is opened in February. The 20,000 sq. ft. birth center was built on the north side of the main entrance and offers complete birthing amenities in lovely surroundings for parents-to-be as well as their families.

2001-02

A capital campaign was launched to raise funds to build new women's health facilities. The community donated over $5 million with Wilson employees contributing $500,000. The Auxiliary contributed $250,000 and a bequest from the Mary Gross estate of $1.3 million was also used to construct the Copeland-Emerson Family Birth Center and the Francis Family company and foundation from Russia made a generous donation as well, thereby naming the facilities after those entities.

2000-01

Two new medical offices were constructed; one on the main hospital campus and one in between Ft. Loramie and Minster.
 

1998

The hospital installed the PACS system (picture archive communications system), which digitized the majority of imaging services. Wilson was one of the first hospitals in the nation to install and utilize this new technology.

1997-98

New $6.5M, 25,000 sq. ft. Outpatient Care Center opened including: same-day surgery center, occupational health facility; emergency/urgent care/industrial injury entrance and triage area; cardiopulmonary department with sleep disorders lab and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation center; and new communications department.

1997

Wilson builds new physician office building in Anna.

1997

Wilson establishes Behavioral Health Unit and acquires its first long-term care facility, The Pavilion, located in Sidney.

1995

New Family Birth Center opened.

1992

29,000 square foot Wilson Medical Office Building opened and 13,000 square foot ancillary services addition completed to expand emergency services, physical therapy and cardiopulmonary services.

1980's

Occupational Health Services and Home Health facilities built to serve growing demand in services.

1978

Bequest from the estate of Fred C. Yager used to renovate northwest wing and named Yager Medical Building.

1975

Wilson Memorial Hospital as we know it today is completed at a cost of $6.2 million.

1971

Planning begins for major expansion to increase bed capacity to 112.

1961

West wing opened 1958 Overcrowded conditions instigate county-wide fund drive for needed expansion.

1944

Additional wing added to hospital through generosity of community.

1939

Ida M. Key donates $30,000 to hospital in memory of her husband, which spurs building of new Key Memorial wing.1930 Wilson Memorial Hospital dedicated and open for service.

1929

Construction of hospital underway at a cost of $55,000.

1928

JudgeSCMHA receives gift of 27 acres of land from the Judge Harrison Wilson estate; campaign launched to raise funds for new hospital.

1921

Rooms above county boiler adjacent to jail used for hospital.

1920

Shelby County Memorial Hospital Association (SCMHA) Established.

1918

Harriet Scobey Stephenson wills City of Sidney $10,000 toward the construction of a hospital.

1913

Blue Bird Social Club raises $305 for a hospital.

1893

Need for a hospital in Shelby County first discussed.